w/c 16th September 2019
We have been back at school for one full week and two days. The children have settled into Year 4 extremely well and we have been very proud of them.
In Maths, we have started our new mastery scheme called Maths No Problem. More details will be given at the Curriculum Evening. The children have really enjoyed the new scheme and books. Last week the children were learning about Place Value and counting in 25’s, 100‘s and 1000’s. This week we will be focusing on comparing and ordering numbers and number patterns.
In English, we are reading The Twits by Roald Dahl and last week the children designed their own Mr Twit beard and wrote detailed descriptions. This week the children will be writing from different character perspectives from The Twits.
Our topic this term is the Shang Dynasty, so far the children have created fantastic silk patterns, decorative scrolls and clay statues linked to the Shang Dynasty. Last week the children identified China on a world map and used an Atlas to label cities and geographical features on a map of China. This week the children will be comparing China’s geographical features with the UK’s.
In PSHE we are focusing on setting goals. Last week the children were learning about fixed mindset and growth mindset. They created songs to inspire others to have a growth mindset. This week the children will be focusing on setting goals to achieve in Year 4.
Reminders for the week:
- - Whilst there have been issues with pre-ordering dinners or selecting packed lunch, please continue to pre-order dinners so that this reduces the time it takes children to order their school dinners in the morning. This does impact on teaching time.
- - Reminder that Year 4 P.E is on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please make sure a full P.E kit with suitable P.E shoes are sent to school. It would be ideal if P.E kits were brought in at the beginning of each half term and will be sent home end of each half term. If a child has an after school club where they use their P.E kits, please ensure they are brought back the next day.
- - For the next few weeks, Maths homework will be focused on times tables. Please use the links below so your child can practise their times tables at home for their homework this week. Maths will be given on Thursdays, to be handed in on Mondays.
- - For spelling homework, your child will bring home a Spelling Homework Book where they will have a selection of spelling activities to complete throughout the week. Spelling homework will be sent home on Monday, to be handed in on Thursday. We are starting a new spelling scheme this year; each child will be receiving 5 spellings each week.
- - If you would like to volunteer to be Penguins Class parent rep, please contact Mr Barnard or Mrs Carleton via your child’s Link Book.
- - Please can you send written permission via Link Books if you would like your child to be picked up from any other place other than from their teacher at the end of the day (for example: the bike shed or the top gate).
- - If your child has an appointment during the school day, it would be very helpful if you would let their class teacher know via Link Books and the office via email.
Thank you for your support.
The Year 4 Team
|Autumn Term||Spring Term||Summer Term|