Friday 27th January 2023
It’s been a ferris wheel frenzy this week! The children have demonstrated excellent resilience and teamwork during their DT sessions. We will be finishing them next week and the children will be able to bring home their amazing creations!
In English, we been focussing on different sentence types through designing our own inventions and writing a persuasive product description. The children have engaged with this in such a positive way and have created some wonderful writing. Next week, we will be writing Dragons’ Den style presentations to pitch our innovation and the children will be presenting their work to the class.
In Maths, we have finished 2D shapes and started 3D shapes. This will continue into next week and then we will be moving on to fractions.
In PE, the children have been looking at creating gymnastic sequences, this week focussing on rolls: forward, barrel, pencil and teddy bear.
In History next week we will be learning about Josephine Cochrane and her invention that so many of us rely on every day.
We will also be doing Music and Art next week and will be finishing the week with an exciting visit from some Y6 children. Please could all Turquoise and Violet class children wear PE kit on Friday next week.
A plea from Mrs Radford! I am hoping to make some Maths games for the children using a large number of milk bottle tops, ideally red, blue, green and orange. I’d be ever so grateful if you could hand in any to me in Turquoise Class. Big thanks!
Phonics- If you would like to support your child further in their phonics knowledge the link will take you to a video showing the pure pronunciation of phonemes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqhXUW_v-1s
Please note that children will be sent additional phonics work to practice at home so please do support your child/children with this.
Maths work at home -
Please practise counting forwards and backwards in 2s, 5s and 10s is also a great support to your child. Identifying coins, counting money and telling the time on an analogue clock are also great things to practise at home. A fun and free way to practise Times Tables and number bonds to 20 is ‘Hit the button’ https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
Spellings- Spellings will be given out every week, please work with your child and practise their spellings. Your child’s home spelling book is to practise spellings at home, they need to bring it in every Monday to get new spellings put in. Thank you
Please continue to read with and to your child as much as possible. Reading books have been given out and children can change their books daily. Please ensure that an adult signs the reading record daily and ensure your child’s yellow reading record book is brought into school each day.
- Please ensure that your child has their reading record in school each day, ready for Reading Practice sessions. These sessions will be recorded in the reading records, labelled ‘RP,’ initialled by the teacher/TA and the focus of the session noted: fluency, prosody or comprehension. Comments for the session will be recorded only on school documents to allow greater focus on the child’s reading during the session. Please speak to your class teacher if you have any concerns about this.
- Please ensure your child has a waterproof coat and water bottle with them in school every day.
- Turquoise and Violet class will have dance on Monday and PE on a Wednesday, the children can come into school in their PE kits on these days.
- A reminder that we would be grateful if the children could select their lunch choices at home as this can take a considerable amount of time in the mornings which subsequently has an impact on our morning lessons.
- A reminder that children can bring in a healthy snack.
If you have any queries or questions for your child’s class teacher, please send an email to:
Thank you for your continued support,
The Year 2 Team
To contact the Year 2 Team, please use this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Infant Reading Workshop Presentation
Below you will find the slides from our parent reading evening that was held on Wednesday 11th January:
|Spring 1 2022-23||Summer 1 2021-22|
|Spring 2 2021-22||Summer 2 2021-22|
Parent Information Evening September 2022
Year 2 Home Learning
Phonics Songs: Here are some songs you can listen to help you with your phonics, learning about connectives and suffix.
THPT Learning Resources - Various games and activities:
Empowering Little Minds - offers lots of lovely ideas to do with your children. Open up the link and select an activity.
Free online tours of museums: