Parking & Traffic
At Eastwick Schools we are determined to improve the traffic issues surrounding the school.
The purpose of this page is to provide the local community with: regular updates on the steps we have taken to date; the progress made; and future plans. Whilst all schools experience such challenges, we believe the Eastwick community has the capacity to overcome this; We hope that we can all make small changes that collectively will make a huge difference for the safety of our children and for the well-being of our local residents.
Issues to be resolved:
- Unsafe driving (for example: driving along paths being used by pedestrians and an unawareness of bikes using the roads leading to very near misses).
- Inconsiderate parking of parents at drop off and pick up times.
- Verbal abuse towards residents.
- Parking of staff cars on Eastwick Drive.
Steps we have taken to date and our future plans to improve the situation:
- We spend time regularly monitoring parents parking at the front of the school (in Eastwick Drive, The Spinney and Richmond Way) and the back of the school (Eastwick Park Avenue) challenging any parents who are parking inconsiderately
- We are in contact with the Mole Valley District Council Parking Team to request that their Traffic Enforcement Officers make regular checks of the parking situation during the busy drop off and collection times.
- We frequently send photographs of cars and registration plates to the Parking Team at Mole Valley.
- We are regularly sending out communication to all our parents reminding them of our expectations regarding parking and the requirement to adhere to the highway code.
- In assemblies, we encourage the children to walk, scoot, cycle or ‘park and stride’ to school.
- We have written to local residents to apologise for the ongoing traffic issues
- A small working group of staff, parents and governors has been set up to create and implement an action plan to make a difference
In addition to the actions we have already taken, our future plans include:
- Setting up a drop off system at the back of the school gate (on Eastwick Park Avenue).
- Exploring the demand for a walking bus and setting up if appropriate.
- Increasing the number of spaces on the school site for staff parking. However, this is of course subject to financial constraints and we are continuing to look into securing additional funding and planning for this. Unfortunately this process is very slow so we are unable to resolve this quickly.