Emotion coaching was first introduced by American Psychologist, John Gottman – an expert in relationships. It supports children to be more aware of their emotions and uses episodes of heightened emotion and the resulting , often distressed, behaviour to help them manage their feelings.
Gottman's research shows that emotion coached children:
- Have better emotional regulation and are more stable
- Are more competent at problem-solving
- Have higher self- esteem
- Are more resilient
- Have better academic success
- Have more positive peer / adult relationships; they are more aware of the feelings of others / more empathic
- Have fewer behavioural problems – children take ownership of it
His book Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child – Dr John Gottman explains in more detail how to support your child through emotion coaching.
Please click on the document below for more information on Emotion Coaching: